Joint Center Vice President Jessica Fulton participated in a roundtable on Centering Racial Equity and Wealth-Building in an Inclusive Retirement Savings System at the 2021 Aspen Leadership Forum on Retirement Savings. The invite-only convening brought together key stakeholders from the retirement industry, advocacy, government, and academia to discuss challenges and solutions for retirement security.
The event description and list of some participants can be found below.
Retirement savings are second only to homeownership as a source of wealth in the United States. With a Black-white household wealth gap ratio of 1:10 and a Latino-white gap of 1:8, we have a long way to go in closing these gaps – and we have an imperative to use retirement savings levers to help address the causes of and contributors to racial wealth inequality. This will require intentionality about centering the unique needs of Black, Latino, Indigenous and other people of color. In this private dialogue, cross-sector leaders will discuss what we know – and what we don’t know – about what it will take to make racially equitable retirement savings outcomes a shared priority so that we can, together, build a retirement savings system that is effective for everyone.
Full list of participants to come
- Anne Ackerley, Managing Director, Head of BlackRock’s Retirement Group, BlackRock
- Randall Akee, Associate Professor of Public Policy, UCLA
- Dorothy Brown, Asa Griggs Candler Professor of Law, Emory University School of Law
- Michael Davis, Head of Institutional Defined Contribution Specialists, North America, T.Rowe Price
- James M. Delaplane, Jr., Principal, Head of Relationship Management and Sales, Retail Investor Group, Vanguard
- Joshua Dietch, VP, Retirement Thought Leadership, T. Rowe Price
- Indivar Dutta-Gupta, Co-Executive Director Georgetown Center on Poverty and Inequality
- Jessica Fulton, Vice President, Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies
- Jeremie Greer, Co-Founder and Co-Executive Director, Liberation in a Generation
- Catherine Harvey, Senior Policy Advisor, AARP
- Joanne Hsu, Principal Economist, Federal Reserve Board of Governors
- Lew Minsky, President and CEO, DCIIA
- Anne Price, President, Insight Center for Community Economic Development
- Jeffrey Thompson, Vice President and Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston
- Debra Whitman, Chief Public Policy Officer, AARP
- Sarah Willis Ertur, Director of Financial Health JPMorgan Chase, Office of Corporate Responsibility
- Abigail Zapote, Senior Advisor, Social Security Administration