Future of Work
This is an opportune moment to advance equity as Congress is set to reauthorize WIOA and vote on new workforce investments proposed in President Biden's Build Back Better plan.
The Joint Center’s issue brief, Principles to Support Black Workers in the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, highlights five principles for state and local leaders to consider in their work to advance the goals of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). The five principles are:
- WIOA guardrails must be put in place to protect Black workers from occupational segregation.
- WIOA must explicitly acknowledge discrimination in hiring and in the workplace.
- WIOA must compensate Black workers shouldering the opportunity costs of training.
- WIOA must invest in data systems that track program-level outcomes for Black workers.
- Black job seekers must share power with workforce system decision-makers.