On April 18, the Joint Center, partnering with INSIGHT America, organized a meeting with U.S. House Agriculture Committee Chairman Mike Conaway (R-TX).
The House Agriculture Committee has jurisdiction over nutrition, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), and other food assistance programs. The Committee also oversees entry into the United States of temporary agricultural workers, rural development (e.g., housing loans, water supply, businesses), and several other issues of importance to communities of color.
Chairman Conaway represents the 11th Congressional District in Texas. He also serves as the Deputy Republican Whip, and on the House Armed Services Committee, and the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. Earlier in his career, he worked for George W. Bush as the chief financial officer for Bush Exploration, Inc. (an oil and gas exploration firm), and in 1995 then-Gov. Bush appointed Conaway to the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy. Chairman Conaway is currently serving his sixth term in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Meeting participants included:
- Corporation for Enterprise Development Senior Policy Manager Joanna Ain
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute Interim President & CEO Cristina Antelo
- The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights Senior Counsel Emily Chatterjee
- House Committee on Agriculture Chairman Mike Conaway
- CSX Director of Federal Affairs Garrick Francis
- Renewable Fuels Association General Counsel Ed Hubbard
- NALEO Senior Policy Analyst Erin Hustings
- Dezenhall Resources, Ltd. Senior Director Sam Jefferies
- National Council of Asian Pacific Americans National Director Christopher Kang
- Jack Kemp Foundation President Jimmy Kemp
- APAICS President & CEO Floyd Mori
- Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies President Spencer Overton
- Urban Institute Senior Fellow Caroline Ratcliff
- INSIGHT America Co-Founder Elroy Sailor
- Citigroup Managing Director Federal Government Affairs Paul Thornell
- Koch Companies Foundation Director Jona VanDeun
Click here for photos from the event.
Previous breakfasts have been held with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.