Focus Policy Blog
While the Center for American Progress report outlined the barriers facing educators of color in the public school system, it also provided recommendations to alleviate these obstacles both on a federal and state level.
Federal government recommendations:
- Create a national teaching corp that rivals those that current exists in the private sector.
- Fund teaching preparedness programs at minority-serving institutions.
- Implement incentives for talented students of color going into careers in education.
State government recommendations:
- Provide scholarships to future teachers that are connected with teacher training programs that currently exist.
- Adjust compensation packages for talented teachers of color to match those of other comparable professions.
- Back state and local initiatives that aim to recruit more educators of color.
Adedotun Ogunbajo, Joint Center Graduate Scholar, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health