Joint Center Updates
Now Hiring: Development Director
Job Title: Development Director
Reports To: Vice President, Development
Location: Hybrid; while our organization is currently working from home full-time, this position will need to be based in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area in order to attend development-related functions and fulfill event planning responsibilities.
About the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies
The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, America’s Black think tank, provides compelling and actionable policy solutions to eradicate persistent and evolving barriers to the full freedom of Black people in America. It is the trusted forum for leading experts and scholars to participate in major public policy debates and promote ideas that advance Black communities. The Joint Center uses evidence-based research, analysis, convenings, and strategic communications to support Black communities and a network of allies. Currently, the Joint Center focuses on the future of work for Black workers, the impact of economic policies on Black communities in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, technology policy and Black communities, congressional staff diversity, and Black presidential appointments.
The Development Director plays a critical role in the organization’s ongoing efforts to nurture and deepen relationships with current funders, diversify funding streams by building new relationships, and optimize growth opportunities supporting JCPES’s mission and programs. The position serves as a bridge between JCPES and its funders – both current and prospective – to identify common priority areas, emerging trends, and opportunities to support policy program development and enhancement. The candidate will be responsible for identifying and cultivating major gifts; annual giving, including cultivating and maintaining positive relationships with individual donors; managing all grant opportunities; identifying and soliciting corporate sponsorships; legacy gift solicitations; and stewardship of individual, foundation, and corporate potential and existing donors. With a talent and passion for writing and donor strategy to lead all fundraising activities related to foundation and institutional support, the Development Director is also responsible for supporting JCPES’s mission and programs by overseeing our grant program, including researching, writing, and submitting grants to corporate and foundation funders. As this is a new staff position, this individual will play a key role in building the capacity of the organization, working collaboratively as part of JCPES’s development team to strengthen and expand our development efforts. Reporting to and working closely with the Vice President of Development, the successful candidate will have expertise and a proven track record in raising significant funds to support annual and long-term fundraising and expansion goals. The successful candidate will join the organization in an exciting period of growth and change, in both the Development team and the overall organization.
Reporting to and working closely with the Vice President of Development, the Development Director will serve as one of the external facing members of the team, securing funding to advance the organization.
- If you’re interested in joining an organization committed to advancing the life trajectories of Black people;
- If you have an entrepreneurial spirit;
- If you are passionate about the inner workings of Washington, DC and government affairs;
- If championing for policy change intrigues you; and
- If you are ready to build community partnerships, elevate fundraising, and be part of something bigger than yourself, then read on.
Joining a small team of experienced, inherently motivated professionals at one of the most trusted and prominent Black think tanks, the new Development Director will be organized, possess a strategic and data-informed mind oriented towards innovation, inspired by an authentic passion for building and sustaining partnerships, and possess a vision focused on advancing the Black community through research and facts. The successful Development Director will be mission-focused and enjoy events, grant writing, storytelling, friend-raising, and fundraising while demonstrating an ability to be collaborative and resourceful in a rapidly growing environment.
Review the Implementation of the Joint Center’s Strategic Plan here.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Develops a sound, achievable, comprehensive fundraising strategy to meet the goals for unrestricted and private restricted fundraising, creating a strong case for support for the organization’s mission and programs.
- Manages one direct report, the Development Associate.
- Engages in all aspects of the donor development cycle including donor identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgment, stewardship, and reporting.
- Building on the strategic fundraising plan, identify high-net-worth individuals and foundations to target.
- Develops and implements major, planned, and blended gift strategies to achieve annual philanthropy revenue targets.
- Ensures that the fundraising strategy is adequately diversified and includes tactics in specific areas such as major donors, web-based giving, foundations, and corporate support.
- Collaborates with staff across the organization to ensure consistency in representing JCPES to potential donors and other audiences.
- Ensures high-quality grant management by facilitating stakeholder alignment, planning, and coordination to meet grant deliverables.
- Identifies new opportunities for funding that align with JCPES’s policy and research programs through prospect research, working closely with the Development Associate.
- Manages compliances for all grant funding guidelines.
- Prepares and submits grant reports and ensures organizational compliance with grant terms.
- Supports the Vice President of Development with the preparation of marketing activity reports, funding analyses, and presentations to executive management.
- Represents the organization at events, meetings, and other settings, sometimes including weekend and evening events.
- Passionate about JCPES’s mission of improving the socioeconomic status and civic engagement of African Americans.
- Proven track record of successful relationship management.
- Effective process development and organizational skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Experience in Salesforce or donor database preferred.
- 3-5 years of fundraising experience, including at least 2-3 years of relevant experience in a relationship management role.
- Extensive fundraising experience in all areas of advancement including leadership and major gifts, corporate and foundation relations, planned-giving, annual giving, events, e-philanthropy, operations, research, and development communications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the unique development needs of a growing not-for-profit organization, with experience building functions from the ground-up.
- Emotional intelligence, creativity, and confidence, with the ability to apply the experience of traditional development programs to a dynamic enterprise.
Compensation & Benefits
Commensurate with experience, the salary band for this position is $125k-$145k. Benefits include 100% employer-sponsored healthcare, dental, and vision; as well as STD, LTD, and life insurance coverage. After one year of employment, up to a 5% match in our 403(b) plan. Generous PTO, quarterly mental health days, and no-meeting Fridays.
How to Apply
Lindauer, a global search and talent firm, has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. Consideration of candidates will continue until the position is filled. Candidates should submit, in confidence, a resume and cover letter. Communications, nominations, applications, and inquiries concerning this search should be directed to Sonya Hairston, Senior Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Faith Montgomery, Vice President, Managing Director at email@example.com.
Prior to submitting your resume for this position, please read it over for accuracy. Lindauer does verify academic credentials for its candidates, and our clients frequently conduct background checks prior to finalizing an offer.