Joint Center Updates
Job Title: Development Director
Reports To: President
Location: Remote first, based in Washington, DC Metropolitan Area
About the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies
The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies (the Joint Center), America’s Black think tank, provides compelling and actionable policy solutions to eradicate persistent and evolving barriers to the full freedom of Black people in America. We are the trusted forum for leading experts and scholars to participate in public policy debates and promote ideas that advance Black communities. We use evidence-based research, analysis, convenings, and strategic communications to support Black communities and a network of allies.
Currently, the Joint Center focuses on:
- Economic Policy, which centers Black communities in policy debates about workforce policy, small business, economic development, tax policy, and household economic security
- Workforce Policy. which centers Black workers in policy debates concerning the future of work, workforce development, and access to good jobs.
- Technology Policy, which is dedicated to exploring the impact of emerging technologies and developing policy solutions to improve the lives of Black communities.
- Hill Diversity, which analyzes staff diversity on the Hill and applauds members of Congress with diverse staffers.
The Development Director will work with the Joint Center team to implement the organization’s fundraising plan, which includes the solicitation of corporate and foundation support and major gifts. They will cultivate, expand, and diversify the Joint Center’s donor base and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives that advance the organization’s mission.
Strategy, Implementation, and Management
- Alongside the interim president, policy directors, communications team, and development consultants, implement a comprehensive development strategy and plan to meet the organization’s financial goals
- Oversee research on funding sources and trends to help position the Joint Center for continued success and growth
- Manage one direct report, a development associate
- Manage external consultants including development consultants, events consultants, and external grant writers (where necessary)
Cultivate, Identify, and Steward
- Strengthen relationships with the organization’s current donor portfolio to cultivate and expand continued support of our mission
- Engage in all aspects of the donor development cycle including donor identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgement, stewardship, and reporting
- Attend and plan virtual and in-person events to network and cultivate relationships with people who support the Joint Center’s mission
- Develop funding proposals and write concept notes and letters of inquiry
Grants Management and Compliance
- Manage compliance with all grant funding guidelines
- Monitor and maintain grant reporting schedules and requirements
- Work alongside the finance and operations team to oversee and manage grant expenditures
- Work with policy staff to draft grant reports to donors; submit timely reports and updates to donors as appropriate
- Culture and mission-driven – passionate about the Joint Center’s mission of using research to eradicate barriers to the full freedom of Black people in the United States
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Demonstrated ability to strategically think and plan and to articulate and implement a strategic development plan
- Minimum of seven years of professional experience, including five years of demonstrated success in a development role
- Experience in corporate and foundation relations, annual giving, and events
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to lead with a professional and resourceful style; take initiative and manage multiple high-stakes tasks and projects simultaneously
- Experience working with Salesforce is preferred
Compensation & Benefits
The salary for this position is up to $140k. Benefits include 100% employer-sponsored healthcare, dental, and vision; as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance coverage. After one year of employment, up to a 5% match in our 403(b) plan. Generous PTO, quarterly mental health days, and no internal meeting Fridays.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include the position title in the subject line.