Joint Center Updates
Now Hiring: Development Associate
Job Title: Development Associate
Reports To: Development Director
Location: Hybrid; while our organization is currently working from home full-time, this position will need to be based in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area in order to attend development-related functions and fulfill event planning responsibilities.
About the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies
The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, America’s Black think tank, provides compelling and actionable policy solutions to eradicate persistent and evolving barriers to the full freedom of Black people in America. It is the trusted forum for leading experts and scholars to participate in major public policy debates and promote ideas that advance Black communities. The Joint Center uses evidence-based research, analysis, convenings, and strategic communications to support Black communities and a network of allies. Currently, the Joint Center focuses on the future of work for Black workers, the impact of economic policies on Black communities, technology policy and Black communities, congressional staff diversity, and Black presidential appointments.
The Joint Center seeks a full-time staff member to serve as the Development Associate. The Development Associate is responsible for supporting the Joint Center’s mission by coordinating our fundraising program, including grants management, prospect research, writing, and events management. The ideal candidate for the role works well with a variety of people in a fast-paced/ever-changing environment. This position requires initiative, attention to detail, proven leadership skills, strong relationship management skills, solid planning, and organizational skills.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Grants Management (35%)
- Manage grant proposal process, serving as a writer for grants, letters of intent, and reports.
- Coordinate final submission of grant proposals by gathering and organizing materials required, including program narrative, financial statements, organizational budgets, program budgets, board rosters, etc.
- Create and maintain detailed records of all grants and related documents.
- Monitor grant compliance and implementation in collaboration with the leadership team and staff.
- Assist with prospect research and development of new strategies to expand and diversify the Joint Center’s funding sources.
Donor Relations (30%)
- Provide administrative support to the Development team regarding all aspects of donor management: research, preparing materials, drafting strategies, and talking points for funder meetings.
- Draft correspondence to support stewardship and cultivation of donors and prospects.
- Conduct prospect research and elevate funding opportunities related to the Joint Center’s work.
- Research and evaluate all gift-related data for accuracy and completeness—reconciling against source documents as necessary—to ensure accurate information is loaded into the Salesforce database and donors are acknowledged correctly.
Events Management (25%)
- Deliver flawless event execution and engagement with colleagues, vendors, and internal/external stakeholders
- Manage and execute programming and logistical needs for in-person and virtual events, including but not limited to speaker/panelist management, vendor support, virtual platform support, registration support, guest list and invitations management, venue research and site selection; food and beverage, signage, decor, travel/transportation, and freight coordination.
- Create and distribute run of show, talking points, and scripts to all program participants and lead or participate in pre-production meetings and trainings.
- Provide additional pre-planning and post-production/debrief support for in-person and virtual events.
- Work with the Communications team on event and conference-related marketing and communications needs.
- Lead the content development of case statements, annual reports, and stewardship reports.
- Support Development Director in creating materials tailored to specific donor interests.
- 3+ years of experience, including at least 2 years of relevant experience in fundraising
- Culture and mission-driven – extremely passionate about the Joint Center’s mission of improving the socioeconomic status and civic engagement of African Americans
- Effective process grants management and fundraising development
- Experience in event planning and project management
- Ability to effectively manage and balance administrative responsibilities with the capacity to deliver against organization goals and objectives
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and ability to develop clear and convincing presentation materials
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Experience in Salesforce or CRM donor database preferred
Compensation & Benefits
Commensurate with experience, the salary band for this position is $60,000 – $70,000. Benefits include 100% employer-sponsored healthcare, dental, and vision; as well as STD, LTD, and life insurance coverage. After one year of employment, up to a 5% match in our 403(b) plan. Generous PTO, quarterly mental health days, and no-meeting Fridays.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure the subject line includes the title of the position and your full name.