POSITION TITLE: Events Coordinator
LOCATION: Washington, DC
ABOUT US: Founded in 1970, the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies is the leading think tank that produces high-quality research and solutions that inform elected officials and policy experts who serve communities of color. The Joint Center provides a platform for innovative officials and experts to work together in key research and policy areas, such as technology, workforce development, entrepreneurship, financial services, education, civic engagement, criminal justice, and tax and fiscal policy. Click here for a review of our 2017 plans, and click here for a 2-minute video of our 2016 accomplishments.
OVERVIEW, SALARY, & BENEFITS: This is a full-time position. The Events Coordinator will report to the Chief Operating Officer. The successful candidate for this position will enthusiastically produce events from conception to completion. The candidate will plan, execute, and manage the logistics of various events, including but not limited to the following: roundtable discussions with congressional leaders and cabinet officials; multi-day conferences for dozens of state and local elected officials; meetings and conferences for scholars, foundation officials, non-profit leaders, and private sector leaders; and breakfasts and receptions for potential donors. The salary for this position depends upon experience and comes with an excellent benefits package that includes health, vision, dental, and life insurance.
OBJECTIVES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee and facilitate all aspects of event planning, including but not limited to site selection, vendor selection and negotiation, managing invitation lists, transportation, event registration, marketing, catering, promotional material, onsite staffing, and post-event reporting;
- Work on multiple events simultaneously for diverse audiences, such as congressional leaders and cabinet officials, state and local officials, scholars, foundation officials, private sector leaders;
- In collaboration with our development staff, plan and execute new events that will help cultivate new donors and supporters of the Joint Center;
- Create and maintain a working calendar of events, and for each event create and comply with a budget and timeline;
- Work with the communications and policy staff to create event marketing materials and event materials (e.g., programs, background reading, name tents, name badges,signage);
- Coordinate logistics including correspondence, invitations, guest lists, parking, mailings, marketing materials, and more;
- Develop a pool of high-quality vendors and contractors, including but not limited to caterers, photographers, moderators, and workers to staff events;
- Proactively anticipate, troubleshoot, and address any challenges, including those that emerge on the event day;
- Conduct post-event evaluations and report on event outcomes;
- Continuously stay abreast of event strategies, ideas, and trends; and
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 2-5 years event planning/event management experience in Washington DC, with experience managing events that involve elected officials preferred;
- Passion for and understanding of the Joint Center’s mission and the desire to promote it;
- Strong organizational, time-management, and planning skills, and the ability to think strategically and creatively;
- Strong customer service skills to maintain strong relationships with elected officials, stakeholders, donors, and vendors;
- Must be able to take direction, think creatively, and proactively and enthusiastically solve problems, and be able to prioritize tasks;
- Ability to develop and comply with event budgets;
- Basic proficiency with MS Office and other tools, such as Google documents;
- Experience to manage multiple events and competing priorities;
- Excellent and clear communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills; and
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required.
APPLICATION INFORMATION: Interested applicants should email a resume, cover letter, and three references as one document to Richard Clemmons (firstname.lastname@example.org) in PDF format with “Events Coordinator” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and a hiring decision will be made as soon as the appropriate candidate is identified. No phone calls please.
The Joint Center is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status.
START DATE: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 or earlier.